What are the major strengths and weaknesses of the instructor?
2. The instructor "lectures" at a high level. He is knowledgeable about the subject but doesn't present it in a way that is understandable to a person hearing it for the first time.
3. Good in answering question.
4. Strength: smart, ability to presentWeaknesses: no business ERP experience
6. Very organized and enthusiastic.
7. can not extremely foucs on objective
8. maybe it is the first time for him to teach this new course. He need time to prepare for what he wants to teach. In this term, the content of this course is not good.
9. Great at explaining abstract concepts
10. Very knowledgeable in the subject, likeable and gets the material across well.
11. James was certainly very good at presenting the material for the course and was very fair in his dealings with the students. The course itself was a little muddled, but I suspect that's due to the fact that this is the first time it's been offered
12. Strenghts: Wide Knowledge. Additionla links in the home page. WeakNess: Course was not properly organized.
13. very upto date with the material
What aspects of this course were most beneficial to you?
2. Learning about the different patterns.
4. UML, Pattern
6. Practicing the Java language.
7. how to do a large project using design pattern
9. The instructor did a great job at making the reasons behind patterns clearand really helped me to understand how they work in concert with one anotherto form robust code.
10. The fact that we are required to program in java a lot, lots of little things to work on. This has helped my programming enormously
11. Learning the 'tricks' to be a better programmer and learning the basics of design patterns
12. Detailed Java concepts and implementing desihn patterns. And hopefully project making would buit confidence to make projects.
What do you suggest to improve this course?
1. More organized and comprehensive lecture material, so that to allow the student to follow along with the lecture better.
2. A bettter text book.
3. Select the Java souce code Text Book thenthe poorly c++
4. using more business object examples
6. A better book on the topic.
7. no comments
9. This course is good as it is. The only thing would be to have a book that outlines the patterns in UML. It was a little confusing jumping betweentwo different diagramming techniques.
10. get better notes on the web
11. Work on the organization a little bit more. Although it was always informative, it appeared to have a shoot from the hip style from time to time.
12. Covering Design Patterns in more details
Comment on the grading procedures and exams
4. need to grade faster
6. Give more partial credit.
10. very fair
11. Grading seemed fair.
12. Grading was impartial and fair. Exam was based on the topics taught in the class.
2. I thought the class was about Object Oriented Analysis and Design topics. I thought we were going to learn how to design software.
3. Nice teacher.
5. Only one suggestion: I like to do a big project instead of final exam and even the midterm exam, because only programming can teach us how to program. I like the way of examination that Dr.Riely gives us. In fact, the paper exam (like the midtern and fianlexam) doesn't say anything. A project, on the contrary, can show that how a student masters the class. And what's more important is that only programming can make student know how to program, that is what a computer student really must know. I like Dr.Riely's examination way.
9. Great Job by Dr. Riely on this course! I really learned a great deal.
10. The course completely changed syllabus over christmas, leaving me enrolled without the correct prerequisite, and while i did get an email about this change, it was aimed at informing core phase students and not about the prerequisites needed or syllabus change. This made life difficult at the beginning and made the course more difficult for me.