What are the major strengths and weaknesses of the instructor?
1. he goes on tangnts too often... some times he takes too long to make a point.he explain things really well, in a very informal and comprehensible way.
2. very good knowledge of subject
3. Lack of orgranization.
4. strengths-passion for the subject matter-intelligent
6. Sometimes the process is slow, always can not finish the plan...
7. strengths: the way the assignments were deisgns actually made us learn teh concepts well. The assignments were designed by the instructor in an effective manner.weakness: could explain concepts in a better way...
8. His explanation is easy to understand.
9. He is a very good instructor.. very enthusiastic.
10. Strengths: Provided slides onlineWeaknesses: Deviated from planned lecture
11. I like the teaching style of James, his class is full of lovely air because he explains things clearly and he motivates students to think and ask questions.. He replies the question on forum to the points and helpful on guiding students to figure out the problems.
12. Clearly worked hard to make this course informative, interesting, and up-to-date.
13. As the quarter went on, I thought he came less prepared to class.
14. Was very good in presenting the material.At times misunderstood questions from students, answered what was believed to be their question,and moved on.
What aspects of this course were most beneficial to you?
1. exposure to different languages.
2. learning about different programming languages
4. programming in other paradigms
8. To know different kind of languages
10. Programming in ML. Provided a fresh programming paradigm to study and broadened my experience.
11. some key concepts comparing among languages are benificial for us to understand on a higher level and be clearer about the usage of them in practice.
13. Applying the concepts to practical situations.
14. Increased ability in learning other languages.
What do you suggest to improve this course?
1. the depth. Sometimes homeworks were too easy, and other aspects were repetitive, like the chapter in OOP... we are supposed to have taken Java, C++ and OOP classes as prerequisites... the basic concepts do not need to be repeated.
6. more reading
8. typo check
10. Try to stay in line with the planned lecture.
12. Perhaps more samples from other Programming Languages.
13. I would suggest taking part of a class to discuss more what is on the Core exam and how best to prepare for it. After taking this course, I don't know if I'm ready for the core exam or not.
14. Using Lisp instead of ML.
Comment on the grading procedures and exams
7. Grading was fine but at times it was found to be impartial as in for the less or same number of mistakes in an assignment some of us got really bad grades compared to those with more mistakes.
10. I come from a small liberal arts college so I'm terribly biased. I don't like having a grader grade my work. I prefer it if the professor grades my work. I believe James did grade the midterm exam himself and I am very appreciative of that.
11. Regular homework is helpful and grading is impartial.
14. There were no half-credit on a 10 pt scale.There wasn't partial credit either.
3. The instructor should pay more time to prepare the slides/material.
5. Enjoyed the class. Thanks.
10. I enjoyed this course and opted to take a course with James during the winter quarter. James has a natural teaching ability and makes the subject matter interesting. After a long day at work, James' lecturing abilities never lost my attention.
11. I like the course and the teaching style of James Riely
14. Very good instructor.