CSC 300 410
||Data Structures I
What are the major strengths and weaknesses of the instructor?
- Friendly and kinda funny sometimes
- Good Lectures, Awful and I mean awful exams. To heavily weighted considering how much work we have to put into quiz's and Homework. Really need to change the entire testing process. Allow notes and maybe lower the time to balance it out.
- As for the strengths, I believe he had very helpful lectures set up on his website, which could be viewed at any time. As for weaknesses, none really come to mind at the moment.
- Seems to genuinely care about the students learning. He is very engaging in his video/zoom presence, which I really appreciate.
What aspects of this course were most beneficial to you?
- I understand I need to drop my Computer Science Minor now
- Plenty of resources, quality lectures.
- All of it. I am planning to become a software developer, which means I will need every single thing I learned in this class.
- The Extensive html document containing everything we needed... it was overwhelming ay first, however it was very beneficial and comprehensive.
What suggestions do you have that could help improve the course?
- I have no ideas
- I would say that their should be a bridge course from python to Java before Data structures because it was very challenging to transition due to concepts change and level of skills management.
- Dive deeper into java syntax, you have to remember most people in this class have little to no experience in Java
- The only suggestion I have is better feedback on homework assignments. I know it takes time, but if possible, it would really have helped to know where I went wrong when I made mistakes in my homework, even if it weren't done in a super specific and detailed way.
- I wish I was more prepared for what was going to be on the quizzes, such as doing (or having the option to do) practice problems similar to the quiz in advance.
Do you have comments on the grading procedures and exams?
- Yes, read above. Worst exam procedures I've ever had in my entire life. Please make the exams worth less of your final grade. Its ridiculous to have 2 exams to prove you can code java off the top of your head. Anywhere and I mean anywhere you get a job or do in the real world allows you to use resources . THATS WHY WE HAVE THEM.
- Maybe more questions on the quizzes; missing one question was a grade killer, and sometimes it was a simple mistake leading to the drone multiple choice answer.
- Great teacher, although the class has been challenging, I would take Prof. Riley again & recommend the class.